Friday, May 9, 2008

Business as usual

So after taking Wednesday night off, I'm back on Thursday to make some cash. It rained briefly, but it held off for the rest of the night, which was great because it was supposed to rain the whole night. I hate driving in the rain.
The traffic was brutal from 5pm-7pm. I was about to just go home. Luckily though, I had some great customers that were fun to talk to and got me over the hump. I picked up this nice girl who had to go home to a new apartment on 8th ave, in the 40's. She had scheduled the cable guy to come out to hook up her new service and was running late getting there. To make her day more stressful, the street I took crosstown, which is usually a good-luck street for me, was brutally bad luck and took a long time to get across. I felt bad, but when we got to her place, the cable guy was outside and they met up immediately. Things like that make me feel better about coming to work, because it's possible that another cab wouldn't have been there to pick her up.
Later on in the night, I was being flagged down by this lady who changed her mind when I pulled up, apparently disliking my SUV-cab. So screw her. I picked up a guy directly across the street going to Washington Square Park, who was about my age and was a great ride. We made fun of some things, talked about this blog, and before you know it, he was already there.
My funniest moment of the night, however, was when I picked up a Chinese guy (in an Italian suit) on Park Ave. He had a piece of paper with the address he was going to that he gave me. I nodded and started to drive. Now, if you've ever been in my cab, you know I always try to start a conversation, and then see if you are interested in talking or not. Well, I said, "How's your day?" Nothing. So I looked at him and said, "English?" he said, and I quote, "HELLO KITTY!" I said, "What?" and he opened his bag and pulled out his kids (I assume) school folder with the Hello Kitty cartoon on it. He pointed at it and in a fun way said again, "HELLO! KITTY!" and we laughed. Apparently that's the only English he knows. 2 words. And yet we still laughed. Nice guy. Too bad he'll never see this blog.

No comments: